Violating Google Terms of Service (ToS)

Amarpreet asks: If I open my website several times a day, will it give me a loss?
If I click Google ads for my own interest, will Google ban me?

Answer: Hi Amarpreet, The show begins with you!

Let me start with your second question. Clicking your own ads is against the Google ToS. Clicks must result from genuine user interest. I advise you to refrain from using any other method to generate clicks or impressions. It's like killing the goose that lays golden eggs.

Google introduced such a rule so that the interests of advertisers in the Adwords Program (Adsense ads come from Adwords) remain high, as ever. This is one of the reasons behind the huge success of Adwords that then moved on to Adsense.

Onto your first question now.
That would depend on what exactly you mean by ‘several’. If you have CPM ads and you keep on loading your page continuously with an intention of increasing your impressions, then that can cause a problem, for this can also be treated as a violation of the TOS. That said, it’s ok to open your site a decent number of times and that’s not going to bring you any loss!

But then, when you test ad placement (or design) on a new website, it’s almost necessary to load the pages several times. Though Google is aware about this and is not likely to show you the red card, it’s always better to follow certain things that can help you test your new website risk-free. I will soon come up with an article on ‘Testing your website risk-free’. Stay tuned.

0 comments: